Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.7.1ac-0.74 and LYUnEscapeEntities problem under digi

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.7.1ac-0.74 and LYUnEscapeEntities problem under digital UNIX
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 14:35:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Heikki Kantola wrote:

> Nope, not optimizer's fault. And logging error messages catches only
> (in addition to makeuctb's messages, which IMHO shouldn't end up in
> stderr)

Ok maybe it shouldn't; I hope you can live with it :)

> following:
> cc: Warning: ./HTAlert.c, line 53: In this statement, the referenced
> type of the pointer value "Msg" is const, but the referenced type of
> the target of this assignment is not.
>         fprintf(stderr, "%s\n", Msg);
> --------^

gcc doesn't warn, even with -Wcast-qual.  I'll put a fake (char *)
cast back in..

(If you configure with --enable-warnings you should get more compiler
warnings; but I don't know whether it does anything except for gcc.)

Anyway, for the original problem:

Do you get the same error when invoking Lynx from the command line on
such a page with

a) lynx -dump [URL here]
b) lynx -source [URL here]
c) lynx -source -preparsed [URL here]

Also, try changing the relevant lines in LYCharUtils.c from

    if ((Str = (char *)calloc(1, (strlen(p) * 7))) == NULL) {
        outofmem(__FILE__, "LYUnEscapeEntities");
    }

    len = strlen(p) * 7;
    Str = (char *)calloc(1, len);
    if (Str == NULL) {
        fprintf(stderr, "LYUnEscapeEntities: alloc %d failed!\n",len);
        fprintf(stderr, "  trying to unescape '%s'\n", *str);
        outofmem(__FILE__, "LYUnEscapeEntities");
    }

(to get some more diagnostic output), and changing calloc(1, len) to
calloc(len, 1) or to just malloc(len); and changing "int len;" at the
beginning of LYUnEscapeEntities to "size_t len;".  These are just wild
guesses, also lynx -trace may reveal something, or you'll have to compile
with -g (configure --enable-debug should do it) and run under a
debugger...

> Secondly, while testing various options I also noticed that the
> configure-script doesn't seem to pick the ANSI C "-std1"-option  for
> the digital UNIX cc, it does suggest "-DCC_HAS_PROTOS" instead, altho
> I don't see even that define anywhere on the final makefile/lynx_cfg.h.

Leaving this to Tom.

   Klaus

;
;