Re: LYNX-DEV forbidding personal extension map

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV forbidding personal extension map
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 04:39:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Mark Westergaard wrote:

> I'm using lynx 2.7.1+FM (platform is AIX 4.2) in an application where I
> don't want PERSONAL_EXTENSION_MAP and PERSONAL_MAILCAP to be used.  Is it
> safe to set these to null strings or /dev/null?  Currently I'm using the
> full path to a dummy empty file.  Thanks.

Setting it to "/dev/null" should be safe, as long as your /dev/null is
safe :).  (I.e. as long as the file /dev/null really is the special device
file which does for your kernel what /dev/null normally does.)

I wouldn't recommend setting them to empty strings.  In that case Lynx
will first try to open "" for reading, and after that fails will append
"" to the user's home directory and try to open what results from the
concatenation.

   Klaus

;
;