Re: LYNX-DEV _Lots_ more on INSTALLATION and SIMPLEDIR

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV _Lots_ more on INSTALLATION and SIMPLEDIR
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 19:23:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> Bill Schiavo wrote to me instead of lynx-dev on Fri, 3 Oct 1997, about
> the proposed "http://163.51.110.11/lynxdev/INSTALLATION.gz";.  I'm appending
> an excerpt from his suggestions.  They mainly concern the compile for 386dos.
> I modified Doug's draft in a few places where there seemed to be improvement.
> There weren't many changes, but Bill did cover two very important trouble
> spots: the directory renaming for "keystroke_commands" in "lynx_help" and
> the makefile for the chartrans directory.  I took Bill's advice, and deleted
> the part about checking for "keystrok.com".  If this could create problems,
> then we need a more permanent solution like renaming "keystroke_commands" to
> "key_coms", or whatever it takes.

Renaming to "keystroke" will do the trick.

> I have rewritten SIMPLEDIR so that all one would have to do is "source
> SIMPLEDIR" from the top directory and it will do all the proposed operations

Remember that operating systems like DOS don't have "source".

> excerpt from
>       Subject: Lynx installation rewrite
> follows:

I am having trouble following what the suggested new wording should be
(as opposed to the old wording).  I hope that the following suggestions
apply to the right section.

> V. Compile instructions -- 386 DOS
> You need to "stubedit" your "cc1.exe" and "cc1plus.exe" files.  The following

You only need to stubedit cc1.exe.  Cc1plus.exe is the c++ compiler.
Lynx doesn't use c++, as far as I know.

>     curses package and a TCP package.  You can use PDCurses (available at
>     "http://www.lightlink.com/hessling/";) and the DJGPP port of WATTCP

I believe that the version of PDCurses available on fdisk is a version
of PDCurses 2.2, that was patched by Wayne to work with lynx.  He will
have to comment on the details, however.

> More specific installation instructions need to be added for the DJGPP port of
> Wattcp and PDCurses but since I don't know how the DOS makefiles will be set
> up
> for the next release, I couldn't provide any of my own.  If you want, I can
> tell
> you how I've done this on my system.  We also need to have a pre-patched beta
> version of PDCurses available.  Many people don't know how to use the patch
> program and authors of patches vary widely in their procedure for
> making patches.

I think that we need to distinguish those wishing to use a precompiled
version of lynx for DOS, and those wishing to compile their own
development version.  I think that anyone compiling their own with DJGPP
is likely to have no problem with a patch.  Wayne has had precompiled
libraries for WATTCP and PDCurses available on fdisk for some time. I
never would have been able to compile lynx for the first time without
them, and am grateful that he made them available.  I don't think,
however, that they belong in the lynx distribution (if that is what is
being suggested).

> Many people who might want to compile lynx for dos don't know how to work with
> the make utility so patching or making extensive edits to makefiles
> is out of the question.

Simple edits with your editor of choice shouldn't be a problem, but the
distribution would best be set up without the need to make major edits.
Whoever is compiling will still have to edit userdefs.h and lynx.cfg for
the settings that are appropriate for them.

> If you will be compiling lynx regularly, you may wish to automate the
> procedure
> by creating a batch file, perhaps called djgpp.bat,  that might look something
> like this:
>

> cd djgpp\tcplib\obj
> make
> cd ..\..\..
> cd src\chrtrans
> make
> cd ..\..
> cd www\library\djgpp

I believe that WWW/Library/djgpp needs to be compiled before
src/chrtrans, but I haven't checked it.

> make -f makefile.dos
> strip lynx
> stubify lynx
> cd ..

There is no need to "stubify lynx", since version 2 of DJGPP
automatically makes a "lynx.exe" in addition to lynx.  Indeed, if the
DOS target is made lynx.exe instead of lynx, only the lynx.exe will be
made.  Then you can just "strip lynx.exe".

                                   Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)