Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx for VMS with MMS

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx for VMS with MMS
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 15:13:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
> >On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, John Nowlin wrote:
> >> I am creating an MMS file for VMS Lynx, [...]
> >
> >What version are you talking about?  Aren't you duplication changes that
> >are already in the development code and fotemods code?  Aren't the right
> >.mms files already there?
>
>       The .mms files in the devel and fotemods code are correct, and
> "new" ones for the vanilla lynx2-7-1 would be obsolete.

I just noted that [-.Implementation]HTAlert.c is still being compiled
in WWW/Library/vms/libmake.com and WWW/Library/vms/descrip.mms, I think
that should go away like HTInit.c and HTFWriter.c did?

> Note, however,
> that the .mms files are like those for make, in that the chains of
> header dependencies have not been specified, so if you're not a developer
> (or former developer :) and don't know when a clean make is needed or
> not for updates, you would be wise to do a clean make for any update,
> and build.com or build-slang.com (or buildssl.com for lynx2-7-1 +
> fotemods + SSL hooks) do that for VMS.

Diversion from topic VMS: Tom has added a "depend" target to the
auto-config makefiles, but I don't know what it is good for...
(it needs a command makedepend which isn't provided).

>       I did not create a ./src/chrtrans/descrip.mms, just a
> build-chrtrans.com for a clean make, and a build-header.com for creating
> individual foo_uni.h files from foo_uni.tbl files.  That's one case
> where a descrip.mms would be useful, because the dependencies can
> be specified (using the makefiles as a model).  That would be a good
> project for John.

Leaving that standing...

  Klaus

;