Re: LYNX-DEV _Lots_ more on INSTALLATION and SIMPLEDIR

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV _Lots_ more on INSTALLATION and SIMPLEDIR
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 12:57:08 +0900 (JST)

> > You only need to stubedit cc1.exe.  Cc1plus.exe is the c++ compiler.
> > Lynx doesn't use c++, as far as I know.  You're right Doug,  Sorry about

"http://163.51.110.11/lynxdev/INSTALLATION.gz"; was changed slightly in
this respect.

> Remember that the batch file I supplied was only a sample.  I have cleaned it

Unless other members of the list express a real desire for it, I personally
think having it archived on lynx-dev is more appropriate than putting it in
with the distribution documents.  It looked good at the time, and it looks
even better now.  However, I tend to agree with Doug that anyone who could
compile Lynx from source code on 386DOS would have the capability to write
such a script, i.e., it's not core to the installation process.

> I have included the above changes.  Also, If we are going to include a makefil
> to build the chartrans code, it isn't necessary to build the makeuctb program
> the top-level makefile (makefile.dos).  As I said, that program along with the
> translation of the chartrans tables can be done stand alone.

Hmmm.  Things really could use some polishing up here.  Since the top-level
makefile is already in place, wouldn't it be simpler to just remove the
makeuctb target from your makefile proposed for src/chrtrans?  Or would it
be better to go the other way and put everything in the top-level makefile?

> Henry, for you to infer that my makefile doesn't work isn't called for here.
> You are certainly invited to write one of your own.  The one I provided works
> very well on my system and isn't meant to be the final version.
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, I did get the reaction I wanted, which is commitment.  I asked you
explicitly to NOT write to me privately, and TO keep the discussion public
on lynx-dev.  The very reason for this is because I am not qualified in any
way to judge whether or not a makefile might work, let alone write one.

A new release of Lynx is imminent.  It would be nice to have a "final version"
in place before that happens.

You and anyone else are more than welcome to look over your makefile proposal
and the editing changes I made to it.  Make suggestions, criticize, bash away!
As I said yesterday, you can find it, in its entirety, as a diff -c in
"http://163.51.110.11/lynxdev/SIMPLEDIR.gz";.  (Grep for your name.)  The
reason for the diff -c format is because I thought this might be easier for
Klaus who has so much other stuff to do.

And, BTW, before anyone gets too hot, I hope you all know that there is no
guarantee at all that any of this will get into the main-stream distribution.

__Henry
;
;