Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: TREELYNX problems again

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: TREELYNX problems again
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 12:57:56 +0100 (BST)

> There is this neat java page, all of whose in-realm items
> I want to download and print out:
>   http://developer.javasoft.com/developer/discussForum/jlive_transcripts.html

If this is a Sun run site, you will generally find that, if they permit
realm transfers, they provide archive files of the whole realm.  If they
haven't it may be an indication that they object, even for internal use.
A better approach may be to ask them to create such an archive.

> OOPS!  NO WORK NO MORE, treelynx.  Because you get
> only ONE lnk00000...001.dat page, that of the page
> asking you to enter your "id" and "password".

If you get a form, they have implemented passwords wrongly (although
there is an argument that the trap door method does allow the individual
pages to be cached in the network).  Either they are using the trapdoor
method (un-protected pages behind a form) or they are using cookies, and
you will need the cookie passing to the realm grabber.  For a correct
password request, you will get a message on the Lynx status line.

> Perhaps (given that NUMBERS are turned on), one could
> say, as some kind of extended command:
>   treelynx -variousOptions,etc 23-45 9 72-75
> which would write to files those items (perhaps
> using the default names, with some kind of
> suffix-number when there are collisons).

Use l, and then create a script as a custom p command.

> Anyway, the treelynx idea in lynx is one of the
> biggest time-savers existing on the net.

It is not original to Lynx and other tools (wget, various Windows tools)
are better designed for the purpose.

> Would be nice if we could use that concept
> in other situations where a pure separately-run
> treelynx job won't work.

No.  It would just inflate the size of Lynx.
;
;