Re: LYNX-DEV ac81 chartrans problems

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ac81 chartrans problems
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 01:30:24 +0400 (MSD)

> > Klaus,
> >
> > I just tested ac81 for DOS, there are several chartrans problems found.
> > They are not new, but now "time".
>
> (What do you mean by 'now "time"' ?)
time for drink...

> > 1) if I fill up the input form from keyboard
> > few characters in cyrillic not displayed properly (cp866 keyb&display):
> > cyrillic small "p" replaced by "/"
> > cyrillic small "a" replaced by space
> > cyrillic caps "Che" replaced by nothing
> > cyrillic caps "yer~I" override the next coming character
>
> I'll look into those, but please give more info: what was the charset of
> the document you were looking at?  was it explicit (META etc.) or
> "assumed"?  A local file?  Try to give all the relevant settings.
> Also if it's on the web give a URL; even if you see the problem

document charset koi8-r, four letters above
in cp866 have codes E0, A0, 97, 9B in HEX respectively.

> > 2) Are you sure in "A)ssume charset if unknown" (Options)?
> > There are several "assume charset" in command line (from help):
> >     -assume_charset=MIMEname  charset for documents that don't specify it
> >     -assume_local_charset=MIMEname  charset assumed for local files
> >     -assume_unrec_charset=MIMEname  use this instead of unrecognized
> > charsets
>
> The Options Screen "A)ssume charset if unknown" corresponds to the first

> Maybe just the wording confuses you?
>   "if not specified"  ==  "if unknown"  (-assume_charset)

Yes. I beg a pardon.

> > 3) if I "print" the html source to local file,
> > it saves in "current display charset",
> > but META charset (if exist on the page) not changed.
> > Therefore later I got messed up html file.
>
> Yes.  You have to change it by hand.
> Of course if people would specify the charset in the HTTP header where it
> belongs, instead of a META tag which is just a hack, this problem wouldn't
> occur in this form...
>
> I have an idea how do work around that.  It probably won't be perfect.
>
> It's just a fact of life that, if you copy a HTML document to your local
> disk, not everything will work as in the original context.  Especially
> if you use 'P' instead of 'D'.  Another thing that needs adjustment after

"P" print the current document, while "D" the current link.
So you should return to the previous document which point out to the current.
But if the current is first and even have not an up link ?
May be it is better just to remove line with META charset
from the printed output, but still show it on screen as now.

> > 4) a known problem with history mechanism for "assumed" charset
> > while browsing the source "/".
> > I think "history" should come from the state if you press "/" again,
> > not from any other file witch was looked before, as you explain:
>
> (/ == \)
>
> That might require a significant change :(
> It wouldn't work anyway for "lynx -source" since then there never IS any
> previous charset information that could be remembered.

Does lynx ask server by different way if it retrieves source?
Anyway, people usually look sources only if they not satisfied by lynx output,
so it is *after* the state you need to keep as a "history".
But maybe the real "history of Lynx" is orthogonal to this obvious argue...

;
;