Re: LYNX-DEV Blather +[INSTALLATION update]

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Blather +[INSTALLATION update]
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 09:58:20 +0900 (JST)

> > tcplib-dj200.1.tar.gz and it > didn't work at all for me.
[...]
> I got the library to compile but then it was missing defines required by
> lynx.  I added those and was able to link it in, but I kept getting host
> unreachable (meaning that the stack was just failing).  I didn't try any

This is good information to have as it points to a potential trouble spot.

> The ide is a LARGE (150k) binary file.  It is like a makefile, except it

You weren't kidding when you said `big'!  That size, even zipped, is
enough for me to beg that it NOT be put in the distribution.

> Development Environment).  I do offer an older version on my site already.

I looked for it off of "http://198.112.65.200/doslynx/lynxport.htm";, but
didn't find it.  Could you post the URL specific to the IDE?  As soon as I
get that I'll stick it in the proposed "http://163.51.110.11/lynxdev/
INSTALLATION.gz", which I have revised to include Wayne's latest instructions.
I think almost anyone could at least give a whirl at compiling Lynx for
Win32, although it may require a fair amount of background knowledge which
just can't (and probably shouldn't) be squeezed into INSTALLATION.

> into a 30k zip.  I was giving out the makefile that can be generated from
> the ide, but the makefile is nasty and you can't turn it back into an ide.
> There is a makefile for the chartrans tbl compiler, but that is seperate
> and static.

I'd keep those MAKEFILE.W32s.  They do give a starting point for doing a
"text-mode" compile.

                                  -*-
One point I'm still not clear on is your (Wayne's) reference to "makew32".
I don't find this batch file in ac-0.79.  Is it even needed since there
already is a MAKEFILE.W32 in the src/chrtrans directory?  If it is necessary,
then it either needs to be included in the distribution or a URL given for
it.  (Again, a specific URL, if possible.  Posting it on lynx-dev will do
that by providing a unique message number at the Flora archives.)
                                  -*-

BTW, I finally got around to installing the binary Wayne offers.  Wow, I
never realized just how slick the Win32 port is!  Just fantastic!  Now I
HAVE to try to compile it so I can change the LYMessages_en.h strings.
(The only c compiler here on Win95 is "Visual C++"; will that work?)

__Henry
;
;