Re: LYNX-DEV Instructions for beginners

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Instructions for beginners
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 02:23:37 -0400 (EDT)

971014 Don Herrington wrote:
> Dear Lynx Master,

no such thing: Lynx is developed by an international collective of volunteers.

> I am new to Lynx, a technoidiot,
> and need to know where I can find the most basic instruction.

enter  h  for help: goto the links you find there & try them:
some will give you starting help, especially Lynx Users Guide;
also  k  for a list of commands ordered by key: try them too.

> I need to know if I can use the search engines with lynx,

i just successfully used Lynx + Yahoo to search for `climatic'
& Lynx + OED to search for `junket': is that what you mean?

> and other such stupid questions including tips and procedures.

well, we're all volunteers -- like you --
& most of us learnt Lynx by poking around & trying things;
if something really doesn't seem to work,
ask at lynx-dev & you'll get a reply if someone has a bit of time.

> I even found the readme file mind boggling

Lynx has great programmers,
but the less glamorous customer-service stuff tends to take second place.
you should get the latest 2-7-1 if you have an earlier version:
all information is on-line at  lynx.browser.org .

> Thank you for your wonderful program.
> For someone like me here in the Philippines with a slooooow connection
> it is God sent.

others say so too: one of the most active developers is in Japan,
which he likens to Neptune ...

;