Re: LYNX-DEV 2.7 doesn't obey official html DTD tag in the file?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2.7 doesn't obey official html DTD tag in the file?
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 08:24:19 +0100 (BST)

>     As the sgml standard suggests. However when lynx was up, it didn't
>     recognized the file as HTML at all. If I changed the extension to
>     .html, the html recognition was back.

The SGML standard only refers to SGML documents.  Lynx can only tell that
it is an SGML document and not something that spoofs one, or one intended
to be viewed as source, if it has an associated MIME type (HTTP) or
extension (file:, ftp:).

None of the common web servers (IIS, NCSA, CERN, Apache, and from the
docs, Jigsaw) use content in determining the MIME type (there may be
special cases for server side processing, but only after the filename
has identified the file as HTML-like.

>     Please correct this, Lynx should not rely on file extensions, but
>     also check the used DTD definition.

I don't believe it is wrong, and I do believe that one of the great
mis-features of Microsoft Internet Explorer is that it will override
some MIME types in favour of the contents of the document, or even in
favour of extensions.
;
;