Re: LYNX-DEV 2.7 doesn't obey official html DTD tag in the file?

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2.7 doesn't obey official html DTD tag in the file?
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 12:20:37 -0600

David Woolley <address@hidden> writes:

>I do believe that one of the great
>mis-features of Microsoft Internet Explorer is that it will override
>some MIME types in favour of the contents of the document, or even in
>favour of extensions.

Do you mean something like when I want to show someone the source of document
over the web, I can just make a link to it with a .txt extension instead of the
.html and it comes as text, but that IE will look at it, see it is HTML, and
render it anyway? That is a VERY STUPID FEATURE!

It also explains some very serious problems with using IE! I have a set of
HTML pages and CGI scripts that let allowed individuals to create/edit web
pages on our server without having a user account on the machine. It works
by using a textarea in a form where you can type/paste/edit your page's HTML
source code. Stupid IE renders the HTML in the textarea and only gives you
the rendered version! The system works fine with Netscape and Lynx.

Trust MS to do something that stupid!

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,