LYNX-DEV ac-0.81 doesn't like "x-euc-jp" in META

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: LYNX-DEV ac-0.81 doesn't like "x-euc-jp" in META
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 10:33:35 +0900 (JST)

FWIW, if I put "<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
CHARSET=x-euc-jp">" in a document with EUC encoding, Lynx breaks lines
where I wouldn't expect it to.  If that is changed to "euc-jp", dropping
the "x-", everything is fine.  Yes, you ask why do you put "x-euc-jp"
when it is wrong.  Well, Netscape renders "x-euc-jp" in the way the
document was intended, but renders "euc-jp" in what I think is Russian-
istic!  As I mentioned before, it might be wise to ignore `CHARSET='
in a meta tag when CJK is involved.  Compare, for example "http://163.
51.110.11/XEUCindex.html" and "http://163.51.110.11/EUCindex.html"; which
are the same except for the "x-" difference.

System being shut down.  Have to log off now.

__Henry
;
;