Re: LYNX-DEV Where to find help?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Where to find help?
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 08:35:16 +0100 (BST)

> always "contact your system operator". So, could you please give me the U=
> RL
> or the man page (lynx.1 is not really useful, and I found no other man pa=
> ge)
> explaining the expected syntax from the lynx.cfg file, its location, etc?

One of the first rules with Unix software is that if you need deep
documentation you should obtain the source distribution (unfortunately,
unlike Linux, some commercial Unix suppliers, who won't supply source, are
actually reducing the documentation supplied (Bela please note), presumably
because the full documentation conflicts with the marketing department
desire to give the impression that the learning costs are negligible).

However, to find the configuration file, use 'locate lynx' on any recent
Linux distribution.  The file contains extensive description of the options,
although you are assumed to understand Unix conventions.

A good alternative strategy is 'strings /usr/bin/lynx | grep /'

If you don't have locate, 'find / -name \*lynx\* -print' is another approach.

;
;