Re: LYNX-DEV BLOCKQUOTE and HEADINGS

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV BLOCKQUOTE and HEADINGS
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 08:49:51 +0100 (BST)

>     Lynx treats the heading differently that other browsers...
>     In lynx I see
>
>         <centered>1.0 Document id
> 1.1 General
>
>     Which is not all what I want to see. This is a bug. All other browsers
>     put the headings to the left as it should be. Actually netscape
>     shows nicely

Then you shouldn't using HTML.  HTML is NOT A PHYSICAL MARKUP LANGUAGE.
Lynx is interpreting HTML correctly according to the spirit of HTML.

Historically, the early GUI browsers gave the browser user a lot of
flexibility in this area.  Netscape removed this, probably because they
knew their money came from marketing people who wanted controlled layouts,
and a physically predictable browser.  The W3C is fighting a rearguard
action to retain the logical nature of HTML by introducing style sheets,
with the theoretical possibilty of browser owner provided style sheets,
but with the ability of the document owner to override. (MSIE 3 has
broken and  very partial style sheet support.)

If you want changed styles, you have two choices:

- change your copy of Lynx;

- add style sheets to your pages and then implement style sheets for Lynx.

The latter is something that needs to be done, although I am somewhat
pessimistic that style sheets will be understandable by the mass market -
they represent a level of abstraction which has largely failed in the long
established word processors which use them; the web author in the street
doesn't think in terms of structure, only appearance, as does the average
word processor user.

I think style sheets for Lynx will come.  The jobs is big, but doesn't look
particularly difficult, and may even make the rendering logic cleaner, but
producing a cleaner separation between the semantic processing of elements
and the layout issues.
;
;