Re: LYNX-DEV BLOCKQUOTE and HEADINGS

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV BLOCKQUOTE and HEADINGS
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 07:20:13 -0400

From: David Woolley <address@hidden>

> If HTML were prescriptive of physical layout, the bug would be in the
> browsers other than Lynx.  Paragraph 4.11.3 of the HTML 1 specification

Actually, the market currently doesn't try as hard to 'do HTML right'
as many of us think it should...

> browsers other than Lynx.  Paragraph 4.11.3 of the HTML 1 specification
> says:
>
> Typical Rendering:
>
>  H1    Bold vary large font, centered.  One or two lines clear space between
>                              ^^^^^^^^
>        this and anything following.  If printed on paper start new page.
>
>  H2    Bold large font, flush left against left margin, no indent.
>        One or two clear lines above and below.

Document <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/REG-html32.html#headings> which is
the technical reference for HTML 3.2 (I believe 3.2 is what the
current version of lynx is still trying to match, says:

Headings

<!--
  There are six levels of headers from H1 (the most important)
  to H6 (the least important).
-->

<!ELEMENT ( %heading )  - -  (%text;)*>
<!ATTLIST ( %heading )
        align  (left|center|right) #IMPLIED

H1, H2, H3, H4, H5 and H6 are used for document headings. You always
need the start and end tags. H1 elements are more important than H2
elements and so on, so that H6 elements define the least important
level of headings. More important headings are generally rendered in a
larger font than less important ones. Use the optional ALIGN attribute
to set the text alignment within a heading, e.g.

  <H1 ALIGN=CENTER> ... centered heading ... </H1>

The default is left alignment, but this can be overridden by an
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
enclosing DIV or CENTER element.

In the HTML 4.0 document, we see:

align = left|center|right|justify
      Deprecated. This attribute specifies the horizontal alignment of its
      element with respect to the surrounding context. Possible values:
            left: text lines are rendered flush left.
            center: text lines are centered.
            right: text lines are rendered flush right.
            justify: text lines are justified to both margins.

The default depends on the base text direction. For left to right text,
the default is align=left, while for right to left text,
the default is align=right.

followed by a deprecated example.  What is weird about the deprecated
example is that it talks about the CSS method within the 'bounded box';
I find it difficult to determine if they are trying to indicate that this
is the preferred method or if they are saying that this CSS method is
also deprecated.  Shrug.
;