Re: LYNX-DEV duplication of install arguements with autoconf?

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV duplication of install arguements with autoconf?
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 10:55:02 +0900 (JST)

> > Since I'm posting anyway, is there any problem with changing the name
> > of src/Makefile and src/chrtrans/Makefile to */Makefile.old as was done
[...]
> that's fine (it'd also be fine to simply remove the obsolete stuff - it is
> only the top-level Makefile.old that contains interesting legacy information).

My proposal has Makefile.old going into the subdirectory docs, with mention
of it in INSTALLATION.  I agree that it is an important historical document,
but no reason for it to stay in the top directory.                 ^^^

> I have a script that does that, but haven't applied it to the distribution

If everyone's happy this way, I'd like to keep those old make files, and just
mention in the short paragraph I've added to INSTALLATION about "manually"
compiling on Unix that the names of those files should be changed from
*.old to Makefile.  (There are some die-hards around.)

__Henry
;
;