LYNX-DEV LYNX: need for 'symbolic links' WITHIN lynx

From: David Combs
Subject: LYNX-DEV LYNX: need for 'symbolic links' WITHIN lynx
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 12:01:48 -0700 (PDT)

lynx: possible need for "symbolic links":
I don't know how often this happens to
lynx users, but I have the problem.

I download a huge tree of .html-files, consisting
of a java-tutorial from sun.  Unfortunately,
some of the links (all of those that
refer to the "api") point to the sun www-site
ON THE WEB -- rather than to a relative
location (which works out to be on my
machine, where I have downloaded the tree
to).  (All the others, to the text itself, work fine, are relative)

Would be neat if lynx had "symbolic links",
like bsd-unix: one of those, pointing at sun's site,
would translate to my machine (the names are parallel).

As it is (unless someone has a neat idea), I will
have to hack all those .html files I downloaded
and substitute (via perl I guess) all THOSE
links (to sun) to instead be to the equiv place
on my disk.

Would of course be neat if here LOCALLY
via my os (solaris) I could make ONE symbolic
link for "http://...sun.com"; and have it point
 to my disk.  But don't work that way, nosireee.

Here are the notes I prepared for sending this email
to lynx-dev:

 To avoid need to HACK the java-tutorial .html-files:
  On the NET, the api-dir is at:
      http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.1/api/
  On MY machine (having unzipped the jdk-sources) the api-dir is at:
     localhost:///home/from_netcom-dir3/java-stuff/jdk1.1.4/docs/api/
;
;