Re: LYNX-DEV 2.7.1ac-0.87

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2.7.1ac-0.87
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 15:47:13 +0400 (MSD)

> On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> > Note that the format for chartrans table files has changed slightly.
> > The default is now to fall back to the "default" table for characters
> > that cannot be translated otherwise to the display character set.
>
> Great! BTW, Klaus, I have ran across a site/form that won't accept Post

Is there anywhere on WWW a stable convention of iso1->7bit approx?
I need it mostly for simple reading german and scandinavian names
without my local 8-bit resetting (not from Lynx but e-mail).

I just yesterday tryed to get iso-latin-1 to us-ascii approximation
from src\chartrans\, and since Klaus upgrade the tables that time
I found out the minor bugs. I think any unicode number should have
definitely one projection to certain charset: that should be a test.

***** DEF7_UNI.OLD
U+00b4:'
U+00b5:My
U+00b6:PI
***** DEF7_UNI.TBL
U+00b4:'
# My -> u
U+00b6:u
    ^^           are you sure in number (b5) ?
U+00b6:PI
*****

It is found .tbl sources very dirty for check,
therefore mistakes are more than possible.
People claim:
"  Note that the first 128 character codes of any of the ISO 8859
   character sets is always identical to the ASCII character set. "

Why not to set 0x00-0xff idem for all of them
and disable (if necessary) x00-x1f in other place?

Why not to remove all those
        # TRADE MARK SIGN:
        U+2122:(TM)
        0x60    U+2018          # left single quotation mark
        0x27    U+2019-U+201b   # various single quotation marks
        0x22    U+201c-U+201f   # various double quotation marks
and
        # some mapppings of greek letters to latin letters added,
        #  just for fun.. -kw
scince they are already set in def7_uni.tbl as default?

More serious: sometimes you use
        U+xxx: 8-bit value
so people who got files not as .zip package but separately via http
or compile in other environment may have a wrong mapping,
look at the very end of iso01_uni, cp437_uni and some others.
(although it may be a format limitation if you seek two-letter equivalent).

from README.format:
[...]
b) directives:
   start with a keyword which may be abbreviated to one letter (first
   letter must be capitalized), followed by space and a value.
   Currently recognized:

    OptionName
        The name under which this should appear on the O)ptions screen
[...]

In fact, there is no space after one-letter-abbreviation found.

Leonid.

;
;