Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods chartrans & SSL

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods chartrans & SSL
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:29:43 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>>[...]
>>      This was explained at length in the fruitless "discussions"
>> before Klaus' extended disappearance, and again more recently.  I'm not
>> optimistic that I can get it across any better than I've tried before,
>> but I'll give it another shot.  I use Lynx seriously in conjunction
>> with secure transactions.  In that case, it's caching and resubmission
>> logic are very important.  The INTERNAL_LINK stuff breaks that logic.
>> It may not resubmit form content when it should, which is not so bad
>> because you can force resubmission in such cases, and you usually
>> don't want to resubmit in most form-based secure transactions.  The
>> problem is that it also will force resubmissions when it shouldn't,
>> which is very bad in such cases, and precludes my using that code
>> seriously.
>
>Please give a concrete example.

        I gave plenty of concrete examples, plus demonstrations, in our
"discussions" about this, and no, I don't plan to get into another round
with you about it.

        The only new information that might be worth posting is that
before submitting the latest revision Roy Fielding contacted me for
feedback and we discussed whether it was still subject to the
misinterpretations that crept in when Roy was in Australia and Larry
Masinter tried to do a revision on his own.  I replied that it was fine
now, but the revision has been out for some time, the INTERNAL_LINK
stuff is still in the devel code, so perhaps I gave Roy bad feedback.

        One other thing that I didn't include in my reply to
Henry.  The revision now makes clear that a form's ACTION always
is resolved versus the base, rather than (current document), even
if the ACTION is empty.  In the devel code, you not only have the
problem of faulty caching and resubmission logic, but could end
up trying to submit the form to the wrong address.   Also very
bad if it's a secure transaction.

>>[...]
>> <!--LynxCSI-->
>
>For those who want to try it, make that
>  <!--#LynxCSI-->
>[...]
>Yes, that change was made in 2.7.1ac-0.61.  The "example interface"
>broke when I added the -source -preparsed stuff (lynx -preparsed
>crashed on www.microsoft.com which has comments that start with
>"<!--#"). Therefore I had to change something.  I made the
>modification that seemed most obvious.
>[...]
>(There _was_ a serious error in 2.7.1ac-0.83, where I had already
>changed back the interface in SGML.c but had forgotten to make the
>equivalent change in LYCharUtils.c.  And yes I should have tested that
>but didn't.  It was corected in 2.7.1ac-0.84.  That doesn't seem to
>be what you are talking about though.)
>[...]
>I honestly think that you are completely wrong, and that you have not
>checked your statements.  It seems I haven't found a way to disagree
>with you that you wouldn't take personally.

        Yes, I'm typo prone and left off the #, and, yes, I was
misremembering -83 as -84, and, no, I don't know what bug in -63
when you were working on the -preparsed stuff might have become
manifest with a crash there for www.microsoft.com.  However, it
would always be called with the same target argument as when
HTML_start_element() or HTML_end_element() are called, which do
not check the isa signature, www.microsoft.com still has the
<!-# comment, and if you remove the isa signature check from
LYCheckForCSI(), it will not crash when accessing that, with
or without -source and/or -preparsed.   So your interdigitated
comments still seem inappropriate.

>>     "Tom, please don't just copy Fote's for-slang code without checking.
>>      We can create our own bugs just fine."
>>      -- Klaus Weide,
>[...]
>I didn't know you were a collector...

        The fact that I ignored that snotty remark instead of commenting
on it at the time does not mean I missed it and didn't think you had
some nerve posting it.  It's always been fine with me to let you and
Tom have the last word on the occassions when the snottiness got to
me and I did comment.  You're highly verbal, and if you can come up
with something that reads better than yet another snotty remark, feel
free to post it.  Perhaps some appraisal of my maturity, though that's
already been used. :)

                                Fote