Re: LYNX-DEV A bug in current Lynx devel code for VMS?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV A bug in current Lynx devel code for VMS?
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 12:05:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Brian Tillman, x8425 wrote:

> I tried to compile lynx-cur from 10/22/97 on a VAX V6.2/DEC C V5.3 system
> today
> with the following command line:
>
> $ mms/macro=(dec_c=1,ucx=1)
>
> Here's what I received:
>[...]
>         #include "LYGlobalDefs.h"
>         .^
> %CC-F-NOINCLFILE, Cannot find file "LYGlobalDefs.h" specified in #include
>  directive.
>                 At line number 65 in
> SCRATCH_DISK:[TILLMAN.LYNX2-7-1.WWW.LIBRARY
> .IMPLEMENTATION]HTACCESS.C;1.
>
>         #include "LYGlobalDefs.h"
>         .^
> %VCG-I-NOBJECT, No object file produced.

[...]

> Now, LyGlobalDefs.h is located in [.SRC].  Wouldn't it be proper to make sure
> the /INCLUDE also includes that directory?  I notice in the FOTEMODS code that
> HTACCESS.C does not have such an include.

Yes, I added that include and violated the (unwritten AFAIK) rule that .c
files in Implementation shouldn't include files from src.  For Unix things
are now set up so that src is included in the search for headers, so I
didn't notice.

I think the idea behind that rule is that the WWW/Library stuff is (or
once was) separeate from Lynx, it provides functions used by the Lynx code
but shouldn't need to know any of the details of the Lynx application.
In practice that isn't quite the case, as shown by lots of "extern"
declarations scattered through the Implementation/*.c files.

I don't know whether it would be cleaner to get rid of that rule and
always include src in the search, or maybe some other reorganization.

In the specific case here, I could move the new functions that want
this now from HTAccess.c to somewhere in src.

For now, to be able to compile remove the offending include and insert
a line

  extern char*UCAssume_MIMEcharset;

in HTAccess.c before `PUBLIC void LYUCPushAssumed'.

  ---

Fote, can these changes from fotemods

* Added comments and tweaks of build.com, build-slang.com and libmake.com,
  (and a complementary tweak of tcp.h) to make more clear how compiler
  definitions and compiler and linker options can be added. - FM

be applied without changes to the devel code?

    Klaus

;
;