LYNX-DEV Re: Still won't compile under DOS

From: Bill Schiavo
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Still won't compile under DOS
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 21:20:23 -0400 (EDT)

hello again.  First you shouldn't have to edit anything but perhaps the
top level makefile (makefile.dos which resides in the lynx2-7-\src
directory. Secondly, all file name should be truncated by dos to fit
within the eight by three naming convention.  Do you observe this behavior
when you do a directory?  If you applied my patch to the makefile located
in the lynx2-7-\www\library\djgpp directory, make and GCC will find those
.h files quite nicely.  Better yet, I recommend downloading the latest
version (lynx2-7-1ac-0.87.zip) and starting again.  Remember, don't unzip
the lynx2-7-1ac-0.xx.zip file using "long file names or it won't work.

Remember, go to a real dos shell (not one loaded through win 95 or NT.
Boot with plain DOS.

Could you briefly outline the steps that were taken after you downloaded
the lynx archive?  Which version are you using?  Did you unzip this
archive under Win 95 or NT?

Thanks.

P.S.  Henry, Maybee we need to add something in the installation
instructions about this.

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, JeffreyX Groves wrote:

> **** THE OCT 1997 WEB ARCHIVES ARE BROKEN, SO PLEASE REPLY BY EMAIL ****
>
> OK, I finally gave up trying to compile with the NT 4.0 DOS shell.
>
> I have everything installed on a Win95 system and I re-booted in
> DOS mode.  I'm still getting the same errors...
>
> All the errors seem to be related to files that are longer than the
> standard DOS 8.3 format.
>
> I have the latest version of DJGPP and the latest version of Lynx with
> the makefile patches installed (the -DDOSPATH define is set).
>
> First, I'm trying to compile the WWW library.  Is it actually possible
> to do this without editing all the file references that are too long?
>
> Here's what I do...
>
>   cd LYNXZ-~1\WWW\LIBRARY\DJGPP
>   make
>
> It responds with...
>
>   makefile:28:  ../../Library/Implementation/Version.make: No such file
> or directory
>
> I tried a workaround and edited all the references that were too long...
>    Implementation => Implemnt
>    Version.make => Version.mak
>    CommonMakeFile => common.mak
>
> Then I tried this...
>
>   make -f makefile.new
>
> It got a little further and actually compiled 'HTParse.c'.  However, it
> croaked on 'HTAccess.c' with the following message...
>
>   ../../Library/Implemnt/HTAccess.c:65: LYGlobalDefs.h: No such file or
> directory (ENOENT)
>

> Do I have to edit all the file references to 8.3 format or is there a
> better way?  I've already spent four days trying to get this to compile
> and it getting a little frustrating.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Jeff

;