Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods chartrans & SSL

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods chartrans & SSL
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 11:33:20 +0900 (JST)

> and added that check to correct my naivete.  But the fotemods doesn't
> have -preparsed, and LYCheckForCSI() would never be called with an

Just a snip, but this is the Fote I know and have the highest regard
for.

> it was that way in Japan.  Has it really been Westernized to the
> point where hone-kay means the same as honkey in US black communities?

I never should have made the feeble attempt I did to translate this.
I'll try to explain with what English skills I have left, because I
truly believe the present situation is not healthy for Lynx's future.
Also why I don't think it's too far off base for a post to the list.

For how many years, 3? 4? more?, Lynx and Lynx develpment was a one-man
operation.  It was not Ukans, it was not a loose group of volunteers,
it was not a consortium.  It was Foteos Macrides.  Originally, Ukans
was the "sole owner".  That household tried to hang on for a while,
but died out.  "Ownership" (NOT in any legal sense, and NOT in the
way one would normally interpret the dictionary definition, but in
the sense I thought I could translate - in the sense of having _absolute_
decision-making authority [whether sought after, wisely performed or
abused, or anything else is of no consequence]) moved to that one man,
Foteos Macrides.  Regardless of what he says, "ownership" still resides
with him _as long as he maintains it_.

Let's use the metaphor of a pickle maker.  The Sumithomas Family has been
making pickles for 200 years.  Then comes along FujiMori, a diligent and
devoted apprentice who becomes more skillful than any of the heirs to the
Sumithomas Family pickle business.  Afterall, none of the Sumithomas' even
like Japanese pickles anymore.  FujiMori moves away, and the Sumithomas's
stop making pickles.  In his new residence, FujiMori continues to make
pickles under the Sumithomas name as a hobby.  He loves making pickles.
Everyone in the world knows this, and they know how good they really are.
No true pickle lover in the world would seek out anything except for a
genuine SumithomasFM pickle.  [One side-story we need to tell is about the
unknown would-be pickle maker, who told FujiMori the secret of MSG.
FujiMori hates the thought of MSG ever getting into one of *his* pickles,
but having tasted one and having his eyes opened to this delight, he
decides to offer it to people who choose it.  MSG becomes an optional,
but highly popular, ingredient of SumithomasFM pickles.  The unknown
would-be pickle maker is totally forgotten.]  Suddenly, out of the blue,
although a few customers from way back to the Sumithomas Family days
knew it was coming, FujiMori announces that the so-called "SumithomasFM"
pickle is no-longer, that Japanese pickle lovers will have to get the
original Sumithomas pickle.  Pickle lovers around the world were in total
dispair, running around in circles, jumping off bridges, crying; it was
a terrible scene.  Finally, some of these pickle lovers banded together
to save the Sumithomas pickle.  Because of their love of the pickle, it
not only survived, but the recipe was changed a bit to make the Sumithomas
pickle even more delicious to the modern palate.  While this was happening,
people found out that FujiMori was quietly giving out pickles from his back
door.  A lot of people were confused, but most if not all of them were
delighted.  They went back to the "SumithomasFM" pickle, now called secretely
among these people as the "sumithomas-fm" pickle.  You see, to these people,
FujiMori IS the pickle, and whatever he makes is the genuine article no
matter what it is called.

>       Finally, note that I have sought to get out from under the
> burden of Lynx hone-kay since the release of Lynx2-6 in Sept. 1996,

I think people of almost any cultural experience can relate to the above
parody and realize that for you to "get out from under the burden of
Lynx 'hone-kay'" will require the people who carry on the Sumithomas
name to "bow to" the needs of the former "hone-kay" AND for FujiMori
to stop making such delicious pickles (or at least only give out pickles
which are a modification of the present-day Sumithomas pickle).

> But > don't worry about it, OK?

Okay.  After all, I'm not on either side of the AND :)

__Henry
;
;