Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Still won't compile under DOS

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Still won't compile under DOS
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 12:17:21 +0900 (JST)

> the lynx archive?  Which version are you using?  Did you unzip this
> archive under Win 95 or NT?
[...]
> P.S.  Henry, Maybe we need to add something in the installation
> instructions about this.

Agreed.  However, I'm still not sure why he's trying to compile a
binary for 386DOS on a Windows95/NT machine.  So although I promised to
stay out of the discussion, I think I should try to get that one
point cleared up.  If he has a real need to be doing this, e.g.,
not enough memory for compiling on the 386 machine he wants to run
Lynx on, then yes, how to compile for 386DOS on a Windows95 machine
will be a necessary addition.

An aside to Klaus: I'm still tweaking INSTALLATION here and there, so
just before you zip up the pre-release, you might want to grab the
latest.  (If nothing else, we have to keep those darn Yankees happy
and have "acknowledgment" [even though Webster (What's that?) gives
both].  Just a joke; I did appreciate the patch, Larry.)  There's
also the "win32.zip package unziped into the lynx" trouble that some-
one just posted about.  And this one (386DOS compile on Windows95/NT).

> > **** THE OCT 1997 WEB ARCHIVES ARE BROKEN, SO PLEASE REPLY BY EMAIL ****

They aren't "broken" as far as I can tell, but I'll take the liberty of
cc'ing any posts I make.

> > OK, I finally gave up trying to compile with the NT 4.0 DOS shell.
> >
> > I have everything installed on a Win95 system and I re-booted in
> > DOS mode.  I'm still getting the same errors...

I want to be sure again that you really want to be going to this
trouble.  I doubt you would have any problem were you trying to build
a 386DOS binary on a 386DOS machine.  If nothing else, there certainly
would be no 8.3 file problem.  Is there some reason you HAVE to compile
on a Windows95/NT machine?

The question I have in the back of my mind is, are actually you planning
to run the final binary on the Windows95/NT machine?  If so, you're
following the wrong set of instructions.  The method for compiling for
386DOS and that for Win32 are entirely different.

But whatever happens, PLEASE don't "give up".

__Henry
;
;