Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: need for 'symbolic links' WITHIN lynx

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: need for 'symbolic links' WITHIN lynx
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 23:03:05 +0100 (BST)

> I download a huge tree of .html-files, consisting
> of a java-tutorial from sun.  Unfortunately,
> some of the links (all of those that
> refer to the "api") point to the sun www-site
> ON THE WEB -- rather than to a relative
> location (which works out to be on my
> machine, where I have downloaded the tree
> to).  (All the others, to the text itself, work fine, are relative)

You obviously used the wrong tool.  wget will relativise links for you
whilst grabbing a site.

> Would be neat if lynx had "symbolic links",
> like bsd-unix: one of those, pointing at sun's site,
> would translate to my machine (the names are parallel).

Except that you can convert as you retrieve if you use a designed for
the purpose web grabbing tool, like wget, dynamic fixups can be done by
running a local proxy.  You can also make it cache.  The CERN one should
do fine for this job.

> Would of course be neat if here LOCALLY
> via my os (solaris) I could make ONE symbolic
> link for "http://...sun.com"; and have it point
>  to my disk.  But don't work that way, nosireee.

CERN configuration directive:

Pass http://...sun.com/*  /-----/....sun.com/*

> Here are the notes I prepared for sending this email
> to lynx-dev:
>

>  To avoid need to HACK the java-tutorial .html-files:
>   On the NET, the api-dir is at:
>       http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.1/api/
>   On MY machine (having unzipped the jdk-sources) the api-dir is at:
>      localhost:///home/from_netcom-dir3/java-stuff/jdk1.1.4/docs/api/

Pass http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1/1/api/*
/home/from_netcom-dir3/java-stuff/jdk1.1.4/docs/api/*

or even run it as a true caching proxy.
;
;