Re: LYNX-DEV lynx browser and Mac Personal Web Sharing

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx browser and Mac Personal Web Sharing
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 19:30:21 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Tobias H. Ross wrote:

> For some reason when ever I try to go to pages on my web site
> served by " personal web sharing" my mac web server at
> http://bucky.mes.umn.edu
> I dont get the page, I get an option to download or cancel
> it says
>
> text/html;charset=x-mac-roman  D)ownload, or C)ancel
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> using lynx-2-7...
>
> my mime types define text and html I think correctly...
> any Ideas how too make my pages ledgeable for lynx?

The reason is that your page is sent with headers

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: AppleWSE/1.1
Date: Sun, 26 OCT 1997 20:09:57 GMT
Last-Modified: Thu, 23 OCT 1997 15:50:21 GMT

(You can use Lynx to view the headers, try -head or -mime_header or the
HEAD key.)

Lynx doesn't recognize that charset.  You should configure your server so
that it doesn't send it.  There are other clients that would also get
confused by it.

<URL:http://bucky.mes.umn.edu> doesn't contain any 8-bit characters, so
even if "x-mac-roman" were a recognized charset, there would be no good
reason to send that info.

The development code from
<URL:http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/> recognizes "macintosh" as a
charset (it is the registered name from the IANA charset registry), but
does not currently translate 8-bit characters from that to a different
display character set.  It also has an -assume_unrec_charset=...
workaround so it is possible to view your page with that Lynx code.

But I think you really should change the server configuration.
You'll have to find out the right way to do that.  As long as the server
is sending that header, ther is no way to make Lynx 2.7.1 or earlier
render the document AFAIK.

   Klaus

;
;