LYNX-DEV Problem with Lynx Win32

From: Binh Do
Subject: LYNX-DEV Problem with Lynx Win32
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 17:18:45 -0800

I could successfully compiled Lynx on Win32 based on what you two described
in the September archive (i.e. name changes in lynx.ide and adding the
defines into curses.h). I am running WinNT 4.0 and Borland C++ 5.0.

I can run lynx well with a URL (e.g. lynx.broswer.org), but whenever I type
        lynx file.htm

or when I specify option P)rint from within lynx, then I got
'core-dump-like' error and this message:

-----
A Fatal error has occurred in Lynx Ver. 2.7.1ac-0.79

Please notify your system administrator to confirm a bug, and
if confirmed, to notify the lynx-dev list.  Bug reports should
have concise descriptions of the command and/or URL which causes
the problem, the operating system name with version number, the
TCPIP implementation, and any other relevant information.

Do NOT mail the core file if one was generated.

Lynx now exiting with signal:  11

Abnormal program termination
-----

I even tried to recompile with the latest version (0.89) but got the same
problem. The binary 'lynx.exe' I got directly from the Web runs well and
the version is 2.7.1ac-0.49, but I cannot get the source anymore.

Do you have any suggestions and if possible, I really appreciate the source
code of a working version. Thank you very much.

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Johan Bosman wrote:

> Today I have downloaded the source for Lynx (Win32) and have attempted to
> compile it using Borland C++ (v4.51). I had to do a lot of little changes -
> name changes, mainly, but in the end I got an executable. Unfortunately
> during linking, a missing function showed up. It's a function called
> tigetnum and is called from lycurses.c.

I had put the following in my curses.h file:

#define tigetstr(x)              (-1)
#define tigetnum(x)              tigetstr(x)

...to get around the problem temporarily but gracefully.  I was hoping to
get it into pdcurses someday...