Re: more on INSTALLATION [was Re: LYNX-DEV Thanks! DOS Compile works

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: more on INSTALLATION [was Re: LYNX-DEV Thanks! DOS Compile works now]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 17:28:37 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

>     Unpack the source code using a DOS "unzip" program like UNZIP386, DOS
>     port of GNU "gzip" or "gunzip", or the command line zip available from
>     "http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/";.  If you must use PKUNZIP to unpack the

I am not sure whose words are quoted above. Gzip and gunzip don't have
anything to do with unpacking a zip archive, although they can be
used on DOS for the tar.gz archive. I am unfamiliar with the virtunix
program. What would happen on DOS with a tar.gz archive would depend on
the tar program used to unpack. There are several available, but most of
them will not truncate to 8+3 in the same way that unzip does. Thus, I
would still suggest using the zip archive and using unzip or pkunzip -d.

                              Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)