Re: LYNX-DEV <br> in link text

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV <br> in link text
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 15:35:33 -0500 (EST)

Klaus writes:
> I think Lynx is just doing what it is being told in this case: the markup
> says that the link should begin before the BR and should include it.
> If you have
>   This is a test of a break in a link: <br><a href=[11]mailto:address@hidden";
> >text</a>
> instead, this doesn't happen.

I know how to get rid of the break if I had access to the source.
But I just ran into a web page full of links beginning with a break,
and of course they all come out with the link number on the previous line.
This would be a pain for a screen reader.

Question: Is lynx the only browser that has a links are numbered mode?
Is it reasonable that the link number be forced to appear on the same line
as the first printable chars in the link text?
It is legal HTML to put a break after <a>, but I would think the author
would prefer the number be moved to the next line.

> If you want to change this, I don't know of a simple way.  But maybe you
> can adapt the complicated code in HText_endAnchor which removes link
> numbers from the text for your purpose...

Yuck -- I saw that code :)
Is there another way?

Anyway, just a thought.
Feedback welcome.