Re: LYNX-DEV How to change screen size??

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV How to change screen size??
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:40:11 -0500 (EST)

> Maybe you should define (and Tom too) what you mean by "properly redraw".
> What I see:
> I am using text screen, but simulate a size change with something like
> "stty cols 50 </dev/pts/3 >/dev/pts/3 2>&1" from a different login session
> to simulate a size change, where /dev/pts/3 is the terminal device of
> the login session where lynx runs, on solaris.
>
> - There is no immediate change before a key is pressed
> - On the next keypress the change is detected, and adjustment is made:
>   - The title string on the first screen line moves appropriately
>   - If I fake a smaller line size N, lines are cut off.
> - This is both with slang and with ncurses+color-style binaries of recent
>   code.  The only difference between the two:
>   - If a fake a smaller line size N, then press a key (not reload), then
>     make the size larger again M (> N), then again press a key (not
>     reload):
>     - The slang version restores the tails of lines which were previously
>       cut off.
>     - The ncurses version doesn't, it tries to write the longer lines but
(the ncurses version won't - without a small patch to hook in the sigwinch
handler: I considered doing that, but was more interested in finishing the
configure patch that I was working on; the resize tinkering was to check
Lynx's current behavior vs 2.7.1+slang).

I usually start a resize test (my bias) by dragging the lower-right corner
out.  Lynx (slang or with ncurses patched) both painted the title area
incorrectly, apparently trying to center it, while the text that would be
wrapped wasn't adjusted - I assume this is what you mean by re-rendering.

>       wraps them at (or before) the previously set size N.  This is cured
>       by a ^L.
> - In no case is the text fully reloaded and re-rendered, which would be
>   necessary to fully adapt the displayed text to the new size.  That is
>   what the LYMainLoop.c part of Alex's patch is about, AFAIK there is no
>   provision to do that now, and I would be surprised if it was in
>   2.7.1ac-0.24.
I didn't get that impression from reading the patch.  It seems to be mainly
oriented to trying to make Lynx force curses to paint onto the upperleft
of a large virtual space - which won't work well for optimizations that
use the right-edge of the screen (I'm certain that it won't work well with
ncurses since I know firsthand what those are ;-).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden