Re: LYNX-DEV lynx cannot access www.kowi.de

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx cannot access www.kowi.de
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 14:54:03 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Michael Ritzert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i noticed that lynx (and amaya 1.1b) cannot access the site http://www.kowi.de
> while other browsers (netscape wintel, netscape 4.03 linux, chimera 1.70,
> mMosaic 3.23, emacs w3 3.0.94, all on linux) get the page.
>
> Symptom: connection timeout, both for lynx (current dev, the official releases
> have the same problem) and for amaya.
>
> telnetting to the site gives:
>
> > telnet www.kowi.de 80
> > Trying 193.175.250.83...
> > Connected to www.kowi.de.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > GET / http/1.0
> >
> > HTTP/1.0 200 OK
> > Server: FolkWeb/1.01 (Windows-32bit)
> > Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1997 14:52:7 GMT
> > Last-modified: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:24:20 GMT
>
> followed by the page

It is broken at the TCP level.  I cannot reproduce your symptoms.
Instead, I sometimes get the complete page, and sometimes something is
missing at the end.  This seems to happen particularly when the page
is reloaded (in which case Lynx is sending additional no-cache headers).
tcpdump (on linux) shows that the server is sending RST before all data
have been received.

Of course this may not be the only problem.

    Klaus

;
;