Re: LYNX-DEV Possible 2.7.1 bug

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Possible 2.7.1 bug
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 17:41:45 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Hynek Med wrote:

> > Funny, I use 0.87 on Linux and it _does_ crash..
>
> An update. It doesn't crash with 81 on Ultrix, nor with 48 on SunOS.
> Vanilla 2.7.1 doesn't crash on FreeBSD, but after quitting it writes:
>
> lynx in free(): warning: page is already free.
> lynx in free(): warning: page is already free.
>
> It looks that lynx tries to free() space that was already free()d. It
> reminds me of the mysterious coredumps on quit that were on Linux only
> some time ago..

The following should prevent the crashes by double-free()'d memory.
At least in this case, maybe not in others.

In GridText.c, find where it says "No option items yet", and change
to the following; i.e. insert the `if (...) {...}'.

        if (!op_ptr) {
            /*
             *  No option items yet.
             */
            if (text->last_anchor->input_field->type != F_OPTION_LIST_TYPE) {
                if (TRACE)
                    fprintf(stderr,
   "HText_setLastOptionValue: last input_field not OPTION_LIST_TYPE but %d,
ignoring!\n",
                            text->last_anchor->input_field->type);
                return NULL;
            }