Re: LYNX-DEV scrollok and lynx_force_repaint

From: John E. Davis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV scrollok and lynx_force_repaint
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 15:10:24 -0500

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997 13:44:23 -0500 (EST), "T.E.Dickey" <address@hidden> said:
>Fote's referring to a feature of VAX curses which refreshes after a delwin
>(not like other versions of curses, which require some repainting).
>
>> so the full redraw would still be necessary for curses.  Maybe not for
>> ncurses?
>maybe/maybe not.  ncurses is pretty close to the Solaris curses behavior,
>since that's the standard (if it's different then it would probably be a
>bug).

I do not see why the behavior of delwin is important.  To see why,
consider how SLANG handles this.

The fact is that SLANG does not support subwindows, unless one uses
the SLcurses emulation, which LYNX does not.  In LYForms.c, SLANG
implements the popup window by simply drawing a box by over writing
part of the display with the contents of the box.  At no point in that
code is there any attempt to redraw what was under the box to make it
disappear.  This is what I suspect that delwin does but that does not
matter bacause SLANG does not support it.  Apparantly that happens in
the calling routine and only a `refresh' is required, not a call to
clearok.

In my opinion, the code in LYForms.c can be simplified by getting rid
of the form WINDOW structure altogether and mimick the code defined
for USE_SLANG.  That way, delwin will nolonger be needed.  In fact, if
you look at the USE_SLANG code in LYForms.c, I think that you will
find it to be as simple as using a curses WINDOW.

--John
;
;