Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx / News bug?

From: Allan Foster
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx / News bug?
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 14:53:52 -0600

As Fote suggested we are sending the trace logs from our unseccessful
attempts to connect to NEWS after our upgrade to VMS 7.1. I am including
2 trace logs because for some unknown reason I actually connect to NEWS
today through LYNX one time then after exiting I recieved the same error
we had been getting before no changes have been made so why it worked
once I dont know ....anyway here are the traces...

*** LYNX.TRACE from the unsuccessful connects ******

LYpush: address:file://localhost/lynx_dir/news_warnings.html
        title:News Warnings
getfile: getting news:*

HTParse: aName:news:*   relatedName:
HTParse: result:

HTParse: aName:news:*   relatedName:
HTParse: result:
Entered HTAnchor_findAddress
Anchor 5362E8 with address `news:*' already exists.
HTAccess: loading document news:*
HTParse: aName:news:*   relatedName:file:
HTParse: result:news
HTParse: aName:news:*   relatedName:
HTParse: result:
HTParse: aName:news://:119/   relatedName:
HTParse: result:
HTNews: Looking for news:*
HTNews: NNTPSERVER defined as `news.utulsa.edu'
News: doing HTDoConnect on 'lose://news.utulsa.edu/'
Connecting to NewsHost ...
HTParse: aName:lose://news.utulsa.edu/   relatedName:
HTParse: result:news.utulsa.edu
Looking up news.utulsa.edu.

A Fatal error has occured in Lynx Ver. 2.7.1f

Please notify your system administrator to confirm a bug, and if
confirmed, to notify the lynx-dev list.  Bug reports should have concise
descriptions of the command and/or URL which causes the problem, the
operating system name with version number, the TCPIP implementation, the
TRACEBACK if it can be captured, and any other relevant information.

*** LYNX.TRACE from the successful connect...  *******

LYpush: address:file://localhost/lynx_dir/news_warnings.html
        title:News Warnings
getfile: getting news:*

HTParse: aName:news:*   relatedName:
HTParse: result:

HTParse: aName:news:*   relatedName:
HTParse: result:
Entered HTAnchor_findAddress
Anchor 5362E8 with address `news:*' already exists.
HTAccess: loading document news:*
HTParse: aName:news:*   relatedName:file:
HTParse: result:news
HTParse: aName:news:*   relatedName:
HTParse: result:
HTParse: aName:news://:119/   relatedName:
HTParse: result:
HTNews: Looking for news:*
NNTP command to be sent: mode reader
NNTP Response: 200 utulsa.utulsa.edu InterNetNews NNRP server INN 1.4 22-Dec-93
ready (posting ok).
NNTP command to be sent: XGTITLE *
NNTP Response: 282 list follows
Reading list of available newsgroups.

>address@hidden wrote:
>We have experienced a bug in Lynx 2.7.1 when we went from VMS 6.2 to VMS
>7.1 using MultiNet 4.0B in both environments.
>
>We attempted to rebuild Lynx, but get the same error when we run the
>rebuilt version.
>
>Is this a known problem?

        Yes.  It also was reported with SOCKETSHR.

>                         Any ideas?

        No, beyond that that the traceback indicates that it's
crashing on a NULL pointer within a system shared image function.
The ACCVIO traceback was identical with SOCKETSHR, so it appears
to be some system function in v7.1, not related to the TCP/IP
package.

>When we attempt to read news we get the following:
>
>Looking up news.utulsa.edu.
>%SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask=00, [...]

        Invoke news with -trace, and post what the trace log shows
between the "Looking up news.utulsa.edu." message and the ACCVIO.

                                Fote
;
;