Re: LYNX-DEV scrollok and lynx_force_repaint

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV scrollok and lynx_force_repaint
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 21:06:42 -0500 (EST)

"John E. Davis" <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Wed, 5 Nov 1997 15:12:33 -0600 (CST), Klaus Weide <address@hidden> said:
>>Ok, I think I understand now what is happening. In the following
>>section in LYForms.c
>>
>>#if defined(FANCY_CURSES) || defined(USE_SLANG)
>>            if (!enable_scrollback && form->num_value == OrigNumValue)
>>#if defined(VMS) && !defined(USE_SLANG)
>>                c = DO_NOTHING;
>>#else
>>                c = 23;
>>#endif /* VMS && !USE_SLANG */
>>            else
>>#endif /* FANCY_CURSES || USE_SLANG */
>>                c = 12;  /* CTRL-L for repaint */
>>            break;
>>

>>if the form->num_value has changed 12 is returned which makes the full
>>refresh happen.  It should instead return 23, and the refresh will not
>>be a full one.
>
>Are you saying that this should be simplified to:
>
>#if defined(VMS) && !defined(USE_SLANG)
>       if (!enable_scrollback && form->num_value == OrigNumValue)
>         c = DO_NOTHING;
>       else
>#endif
>         c = 23;
>       break;

        You want:

#if defined(FANCY_CURSES) || defined(USE_SLANG)
            if (!enable_scrollback)
#if defined(VMS) && !defined(USE_SLANG)
                if (form->num_value == OrigNumValue)
                    c = DO_NOTHING;
                else
#endif /* VMS && !USE_SLANG*/
                c = 23;
            else
#endif /* FANCY_CURSES || USE_SLANG */
                c = 12;  /* CTRL-L for repaint */
            break;

        Only VMS curses can literally DO_NOTHING when the selection
isn't changed, but neither slang nor Unix curses need the 12 unless
enable_scrollback is set.   With 23, slang and VMS curses will use
their smart repaint, but Unix curses is still stuck with a brain
dead repaint (i.e., that's noticeable, even with a T1 line :).

                                Fote