Re: LYNX-DEV scrollok and lynx_force_repaint

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV scrollok and lynx_force_repaint
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 15:08:41 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> > It seems this problem is only with double-byte text.  When the box pops
>
> But not with ALL double-byte text; only certain underlying text (seemingly
> those lines with other things to fill in or radio buttons to select, but
> not a consistency I can see).  If anyone can turn me on to an English form
> with very long popup selection boxes that when popped up cover radio buttons,
> I'd sure like to have the URL for testing.
>
> > other characters.  So you probably end up with a screen having invalid
> > double-byte combinations that don't mean any displayable character to
>
> Exactly, thus the `problem'.

Followup question: What character is slang using to draw the left and
right box border?  Does it matter, i.e. does the problem change if you
modify those?  For curses changing them could be done by changing BOXVERT;
for slang, you would probably have to play around with the terminfo
file's acsc (a.k.a. acs_chars) string.

If you answers this, I probaly won't know what to do with the answer, but
it might give you or someone else an idea (or just a workaround).

> > isn't in general possible.  If the display library (slang or ncurses)
> > were more Kanji-savvy, it could blank out the other half of partially
> > overwritten characters.  But for this, it would have to keep track of
>
> Slang is much more "Kanji-savvy" than Screen.  Screen may be creating
> many of the problems.  Anyway, I was starting to get the impression from
> what John said that Slang doesn't erase the background, only overwrites.

I think what he meant was that _in the LYForms.c functions_ slang doesn't
bother with restoring the screen after a popup is retracted because it
can leave that to other parts of the program (display_page, which will
be called after the LYForms.c popup stuff).

    Klaus

;
;