Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx SSL problem (VMS AXP, SSLEAY 0.6.6, 11/2/97 lynx271ssl

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx SSL problem (VMS AXP, SSLEAY 0.6.6, 11/2/97 lynx271ssleay.uue)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 14:39:21 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487) wrote:
>From: Kerry Bouchard <address@hidden>
>>    I have the 11/2/97 distribution of the lynx271ssleay.uue file from Foteos
>>Macrides, and the 0.6.6 version of the SSLEAY library.  I was able to get
>>SSLEAY and then Lynx to compile and link on our system (VMS version 6.2 for
>>AXP, Multinet v4.0, rev A), but the LYNX.EXE still won't access HTTPS sites.
>>When I run it with -trace on, the error is (for example):
>
>I have the 11/2 of that file, the 11/10 of lynx271f, and have been trying to
>get SSL 0.8.1 to compile here in the USA with rsaref2.tar.gz .  I got
>everything
>to build, followed the instructions in the Fote ssleay Makefile to
>replace items in libcrypto.a, and linked lynx with the new library.  Now
>_I_ get:
>
>Read from unallocated (rua):
>Attempting to read 4 bytes at address 0x80 in page zero
>0x0014e708: ssl3_send_client_key_exchange+0x00f8:    ba,a
>            ssl3_send_client_key_exchange+0x3391d4
>
>when I attempt to Go to
>https://www.bungie.com/store/store.html
>from inside a running version of the linked lynx.
>
>There's nothing in the trace file.
>
>I'm using Solaris 2.4, Sun's C compiler, ncurses 4.1 .

        It's not possible to have nothing in the trace file, but that
looks like a bug in the SSLeay library, anyway.  Maybe Tom knows more
about it.  I haven't tried v0.8.1 yet, but have no problem with v0.8.0:

[...]
HTParse: aName:https://www.bungie.com/store/store.html   relatedName:
HTParse: result:https
HTParse: aName:https://www.bungie.com/store/store.html   relatedName:
HTParse: result:www.bungie.com
Looking up www.bungie.com.
HTParseInet: Parsed address as port 443, IP address 209.125.9.130
Making HTTPS connection to www.bungie.com.
EXP-RC4-MD5
[...]

        I also have no problem with Kerry's https URL, and posted
a message that should help him get the SSLeay libraries built properly,
but it appears to have been lost or is severely delayed.  I wonder if
this message will get through to lynx-dev...

                                Fote