Re: LYNX-DEV hope the new Lynx release comes out soon!!!!!!!!

From: Michael Ritzert
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV hope the new Lynx release comes out soon!!!!!!!!
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 17:41:27 +0100

Laura Eaves writes:
 > I just built ac-0.93 this morning and noticed that
 >      configure --with-screen=slang --prefix=$HOME
 > defined LYNX_CFG_FILE in lynx_cfg.h as
 > /usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg instead of /u4/intac/leaves/lib/lynx.cfg.

I observed this with two older versions (ac0.8[79]).

 > I think it should be the latter even if --with-config-file is not
 > specified.  --with-config-file would only be needed if you
 > put lynx.cfg in a weird place like /etc.
 > Does anyone disagree?

Not at all. I'd rather consider the present behavior an irritating bug
in the autoconf setup.

Furthermore, i think it is important to fix it in the way You
proposed: consider linux --- here many distributions put everything
belonging to the distribution into /usr/{bin,lib,...}, not into
/usr/local

It would make maintaining the distributions easier if  --prefix
behaved as expected. Analogously for users without write privilege to
/usr/xxx or /usr/local/xxx

Michael

BTW: did someone notice that the two lynx versions i mentionened above
behave differently from 2.7.1 when they encounter preformatted tabular
material enhanced by table tags  within <pre> (see, for example,
www.liga-kind.de or www.dfg.de, the latter tuned toward ac0.89)?

 > --le
 > ;
 > ; To UNSUBSCRIBE:  Send a mail message to address@hidden
 > ;                  with "unsubscribe lynx-dev" (without the
 > ;                  quotation marks) on a line by itself.
 > ;
;
;