Re: LYNX-DEV hope the new Lynx release comes out soon!!!!!!!!

From: Bill Schiavo
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV hope the new Lynx release comes out soon!!!!!!!!
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 12:47:56 -0500 (EST)

Hello everyone.

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Doug Kaufman wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
>
> > Bill's revised batch file (see "http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/
> > month1097/msg00140.html") is now integrated into INSTALLATION.  Bill
> > should check it since I switched the order to do www\library before
> > src\chrtrans (as is done in the Unix port, and as is the order in the
> > written instructions).  I removed the "-f makefile.dos" for the make
> > in src\chrtrans from the written instructions so they conform to
> > the batch file.  This batch file starts from the tcplib build; is
> > it impossible to reliably start from the pdcurses build?
>
> I think the lack of "-f makefile.dos" is an error in the batchfile.
You are right.  It must be makefile.dos.
Actually, I have rewritten djgpp.bat and I believe that it is a much
better example of how to write a batch file to compile Lynx.  Here is that
file:
@echo off
rem this is a simple batch file that may be used to compile Lynx with
rem DJGPP.
rem Note: this file must reside in the top-level source directory.

rem Check the Lynx directory structure.

if not exist ..\lynx2-7-\nul goto direrr
if not exist ..\lynx2-7-\djgpp\nul goto direrr
if not exist ..\lynx2-7-\djgpp\tcplib\nul goto direrr
if not exist ..\lynx2-7-\djgpp\tcplib\tcpsrc\nul goto direrr
if not exist ..\lynx2-7-\djgpp\tcplib\include\nul goto direrr
if not exist ..\lynx2-7-\djgpp\tcplib\include\tcp\nul goto direrr
if not exist ..\lynx2-7-\djgpp\tcplib\tcpsys\nul goto direrr
if not exist ..\lynx2-7-\djgpp\tcplib\obj\nul goto direrr
if not exist ..\lynx2-7-\www\nul goto direrr
if not exist ..\lynx2-7-\www\library\nul goto direrr
if not exist ..\lynx2-7-\www\library\djgpp\nul goto direrr
if not exist ..\lynx2-7-\www\library\implemen\nul goto direrr
if not exist ..\lynx2-7-\src\nul goto direrr
if not exist ..\lynx2-7-\src\chrtrans\nul goto direrr

rem Build libtcp.a.

cd djgpp\tcplib\obj
if exist *.o del *.o
if exist libtcp.a del libtcp.a
make
if not exist libtcp.a goto mkerr

rem Build libwww.a.

cd ..\..\..\www\library\djgpp
if exist *.o del *.o
if exist libwww.a del libwww.a
make
if not exist libwww.a goto mkerr

rem Build the chartrans header files.

cd ..\..\..\src\chrtrans
if exist makeuctb.exe del makeuctb.exe
make -f makefile.dos
if not exist makeuctb.exe goto mkerr
if not exist iso*.h goto mkerr
if not exist cp*.h goto mkerr
if not exist mnem*.h goto mkerr

Build Lynx.exe.

cd..
if exist *.o del *.o
if exist lynx.exe del lynx.exe
make -f makefile.dos
if not exist lynx.exe goto mkerr
strip lynx.exe
goto done

:mkerr
@echo We have encountered an error while compiling Lynx.
@echo sources.
goto done

:direrr
@echo The Lynx sources have not been installed correctly or %0.bat isn't
@echo in its proper location.
:done

I have tested this on my system and it works well.  I have added logic to
check for errors but unfortunately, Make for DJGPP doesn't give a real
good way to know when it bombs out.  Dispite this limitation, I believe I
did a reasonable job of it.  It should be noted that I changed the
makefile slightly for the tcplib package to avoid having to use lab=.. on
the make line for the step that builds the TCP library.

 > There is no makefile in the chrtrans directory.  It should be
> "make -f makefile.dos".  It might be hard to include the build of
> pdcurses in a batchfile, since the distribution usually needs to be
> patched before compiling.
>
> > A couple of hints from Doug were added here and there in the DOS section.
> > On Doug's advice, I removed the reference to the "lab1.psy.univie.ac.at"
Good idea!  I tried that library but it won't work with Lynx even if you
get it to compile--not without a lot of work!  Currently, I am using the
tcplib package from ftp.neonatal.sm.ic.ac.uk and that works well.  Perhaps
we should recommend using that package.
> > tcplib.  I hope it was all right to replace it with Wayne's "http://www.
> > fdisk.com/doslynx/wlynx/source/djgpp.zip".  Doug, does this mean we can
> > remove one of the following, and the comment, from the environment variable
> > section?
> >     WATCONF      Where to find the wattcp.cfg file.
> >     WATTCP.CFG   Where to find the wattcp.cfg file.
> >     (only one applies, depending on how you compiled your tcp library)
>
> In tcplib/include/tcp/wattcp.h, WATCONF is defined as WATTCP.CFG, in the
> versions that I have been using.  Wayne had  binaries compiled to use
> WATCONF itself as the variable.  Perhaps Wayne can comment on this.  I
> think most people compiling their own lynx for DOS will use WATTCP.CFG.
WATTCP.CFG is what is used by the original TCP library so I think that you
should not change this as many applications using WATTCP also rely on that
environment variable.

>                                  Doug

Bill
> __
> Doug Kaufman
> Internet: address@hidden (preferred)
>         address@hidden
>
> ;
> ; To UNSUBSCRIBE:  Send a mail message to address@hidden
> ;                  with "unsubscribe lynx-dev" (without the
> ;                  quotation marks) on a line by itself.
> ;

;
;