Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx bug while fetching news group list

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx bug while fetching news group list
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 21:42:23 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Jason Castonguay wrote:

> Hi there.  That gdb program is amazing (I never used it before and hadn't
> realized what it could do).  I couldn't check out the Lynx.trace file
> because it was too big (159,321 lines).  All my editors had a problem with
> that <g>.
>
> Here's what gdb reported after issuing the command: "gdb lynx core"

> Core was generated by `lynx -trace news://news.ntplx.net'.
> Reading symbols from /lib/libncurses.so.3.0...(no debugging symbols found)...
> done.
> Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.5...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
> Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.1...done.
> #0  0x6666662e in ?? ()

Ok, but you should have typed "where" at the (gdb) prompt, that should be
more interesting.

For very large files, like the Lynx.trace: since you use Linux, I am sure
you have "less".  Try

   less +G Lynx.trace

(The +G just makes it jump to the end; you can then page backward and
forward with 'b' and SPACE.)
   tail -20 Lynx.trace
should also give you the last screenful of the file.

Of course you can also try whether Lynx itself can load such a big file
:-)  It should be able to, IF you have enough memory.  And it may take a
while.

I don't know whether all this will lead to anything; it is not clear from
what date your "2.7.1F" is.  If the problem persists, I suggest you try
whether the development code from <URL:http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/>
has the same problem.

It is also possible that this isn't a Lynx problem but that you are
running out of memory; although in that case I would expect an "out
of memory" message before Lynx quits.

   Klaus
;
;