Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx changed handling of TABLEs

From: Alan J. Flavell
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx changed handling of TABLEs
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 20:49:01 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> >A consequence is that a long-standing trick, TABLE in PRE, no longer
> >works (nor does PRE in TABLE).
>
>       You are confusing two different sets of changes in the
> development code.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

> It uses a SortaSGML parser by default, and
> both of your HTML kludges are invalid, so its SGML-like error
> recovery prevents either from working.

Fair comment.  One really isn't entitled to expect anything, if one
writes invalid HTML.

Maybe I'll take up stuffing with no-break spaces, after all.
(Again there's no guarantee that multiple no-break spaces don't
get collapsed, but at least it's not invalid HTML syntax).

>  The mods I made last
> May retained support for the PRE-in-TABLE kludge.  You can check
> that with the development code by using ^V to toggle to the
> TagSoup parser.

Ah, right.  As you say, it works with PRE inside TABLE (as long as
"tagsoup" parsing is enabled), though it no longer works with TABLE inside
PRE - both of which "worked" (I hesitate to use that term in relation to
invalid syntax, so let's just say "produced the hoped-for result") in Lynx
2.7 and earlier.

> I don't know why both that and the TABLE-in-PRE
> kludge are needed,

Either one would suffice; I chose one over the other after lots
of tests with browsers that are, presumably, all dead by now.
It's in my writeup from way-back, anyhow.

> but it's easy enough to support both with the
> TagSoup parser, so I did that in the lynx271f code for SSL.

Many thanks. I think that's cleared it up.

Oh, and

>       You can read replies via:  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/

Sure, thanks.  I wouldn't object to a cc:, though, if I asked politely
;-)
;
;