Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx changed handling of TABLEs

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx changed handling of TABLEs
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 11:50:48 -0500 (EST)

Andrew Vardy <address@hidden> wrote to me instead of lynx-dev:
>On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>> "Alan J. Flavell" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >(I'm not subscribed to this list, so I would appreciate a cc: of
>> >any responses, thanks)
>>
>>      You can read replies via:  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/
>>

>Say, you include a URL reference in your message.
>
>I was wondering if there is any way to click on a URL, like you can do
>Windows programs, in a mouse click.  That is, any way to click on URL, for
>example, in Pine from a keypress?
>
>I just wonder because, sometimes people have URL references fairly often,
>and sometimes I think they use Unix.

        That http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/ is a hypertext archive,
and anything which has the structure of a URL will be converted to a
link you can ACTIVATE.   The Lynx news gateway has a similar feature
when reading Usenet news articles.  However, Lynx does not have a
gateway for reading raw mail messages, only for sending mail via mailto
HREFs or ACTIONs, or as a form of 'd'ownloading or 'p'rinting.  There are
a number of general mail utilities which convert apparent URLs to links
when you read mail with them.  Perhaps someone on lynx-dev has a list
and could post it.  When using such a mail utility, you specify a browser
(e.g., Lynx) via a configuration file (e.g., .mailcap) for handling the
link as a URL, but it is that general mail utility, not the browser, which
in effect is treating a text/plain mail message as pseudo-HTML and then
invoking the browser as a "helper application".

                                Fote