Re: LYNX-DEV Looking for Java/Javascript Lynx

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Looking for Java/Javascript Lynx
Date: 16 Nov 1997 12:11:02 -0600

RH> On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, David Rovinsky wrote:
>> > The consensus (as far as I'm concerned) is that Java is much too
>> > GUI-oriented to implement directly into Lynx.  Perhaps it would
>> > be nice if Lynx would spawn an applet viewer, much like images
>> > and sound files are already handled.  OTOH, I've not seen an
>> > applet I can't live without.

RH> Fair enough, but to me, the best part about Java is the JDBC
RH> drivers..so now I can access my databases from Java. If Lynx could
RH> support Java to the extent required for JDBC, then I need not use
RH> PHP, perl CGI's etc to provide text based web access for my users
RH> to the enterprise DB's.

Derek Decker's rogue Lynx port for OS/2, Lynx/2 (not the standard OS/2
Lynx 2.7.1), supports Java applets by spawning a helper application
(applet.exe, the OS/2 equivalent of appletviewer).  Nothing is
stopping anyone from doing the same thing on other platforms, except
that the people with the knowhow don't want it enough, and the people
who want it enough don't have the knowhow.

RH> I have written some simple standalone _applications_ in Java to
RH> collect/update info from our Ingres DB..if I could Lynx them, it
RH> would fit in much better with other apps that we have.

No reason it couldn't be configurable whether to use appletviewer or a
full java to handle them.