LYNX-DEV Re: your mail

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: your mail
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 09:10:03 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997 address@hidden wrote:

> I have understood Lynx to be a DOS based browser that could perhaps be
> the solution to my building an intranet working and exchanging DOS type
> files.  I would be using Windows 95 as Windows 3.11 will not function
> with Lynx.  The progamme I use is a property management system on a
> network and using Novell 3.12
>
> My question is, will Lynx allow me to work remotely on any one of the
> workstations on my intranet?  If not you perhaps have a solution for my
> problem.  Your help will be sincerely appreciated
>
> Leon Shinya

First off, what precisely do you mean by "work remotely"? If you just need
to delete a few files, change some file attributes, or get a list of phone
numbers out of a database (or the like,) you might well be able to use
Lynx and an HTTP daemon (several of which are free and quite good.) If, on
the other hand, you need to be able to run interactive programs (DOS,
or Windows) you need something else, which currently costs quite a
bit.

Basically, can you get away with using CGI scripts? Or do you need a
remote Windows interface? The former is free, the latter most definitely
*not* free.

;
;