Re: Re: Re: your mail

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: Re: Re: your mail
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:01:08 -0500 (EST)

to follow up on what address@hidden said:

> Pardon me for not being very clear.  I have a Property
> Management Sytem (programme) that is a DOS based programme.
> This programme is run on network using Novell supporting at
> least 5 workstations.  That same setup is present in another 12
> hotels.  Now, what I would like to do is to create an Intranet,
> so that any one hotel can acces the Property Management System
> files of any one other hotel and modify them or simply read
> them.  However, since I am using a DOS based programme and
> would still like to use the Internet as my means of data
> exchange, I am stuck as to how.  This is where I believed Lynx
> might be a solution.

What you are trying to implement can be thought of as a
client-server system.  Lynx is only the client.  You need to
decide what server software you are going to use on the LAN where
the Property Management System is.

My expectation is that your least-pain way to do this is to work
with the Novell software.  Either the Novell you now have or a
compatible upgrade will let you telnet in from remote sites.
Then your users afar can run the PMS on its own LAN.

Lynx is not a remote-control program.  It will not let you run a
remote DOS application.  The OS where the application is running
has to export a means for remote users to run things.

If you do the server work to make the Property Management files
available by ftp or http you can get them from remote sites using
Lynx.  If the remote sites need to be able to run the application
and make changes in the data, you should think about telnet as
the application to run on the remote stations.

-- Al