Re: LYNX-DEV X-URL header field

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV X-URL header field
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 21:33:33 -0500 (EST)

Uzi Paz <address@hidden> wrote:
>Any comments about using "X-URL" equivalent for mailing the stripped text
>version via the "print" command? I don't know of any apropriate header
>field, but it seems that "X-URL:" is definitly not good. Is there a need
>for a new field for that? Or perhaps content-location without MIME.

        I think ReferenceURL:, ReferenceURI:, or something to that
affect would make sense for the 'c'omment situation.  It would be
homologous to Reference: but have a URL/URI value.  It's fully
homologous to the use of Reference: in news, and the structure of
the email Lynx sends is fully homologous to that of a followup or
reply, but for a text/html document rather than news article.  It
still could be misleading, though.  For example, it a local copy
of the document were made, and a LINK with REV="made" were used
for sending a 'c'omment, the X-URL value would be
        file://localhost/local_path
instead of the URL originally used to fetch the document and save
it to disk, and it would be fortuitous if the recipient could
actually accees it.

        In the case of 'p'rint for the usual case of a rendered,
and therefore text/plain and charset converted version of an
originally text/html file, the X-URL: in effect points to a
SourceURL: (or generically, SourceURI), and I'm unsure if the
software actually do with the Content-Location: header in
received email?  The X-URL: Lynx sends is intended primarily
for human readers, and no particular purpose with respect to
software.

                                Fote