Re: LYNX-DEV more chartrans

From: Hynek Med
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV more chartrans
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 17:32:39 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> One more here, about charset assumption if we have 7bit text.
>
> A huge majority of texts have only us-ascii symbols,
> but if you check '=' or p)rint to email
> there is an assumed charset name introduced,
> non us-ascii in any case and possible non iso-latin-1.

Well, you can set your Assume_charset to US-ASCII if you want to..

> This may confuse people and some wrongly implemented mailreaders
> and possible increase haos.

It was actually me who suggested this - when you have the text converted
to your Display character set, it is actually in that display character
set and this character set is used for mailing - so formally is everything
right, of course, it's rather a overdimensioned when printing/mailing
US-ASCII texts, because your display character set is usually a superset
of US-ASCII. But marking the text with the display character set is
necessary when you for example send your 8bit-charset page via e-mail..

> Is it possible to test new coming page whether it have 8bit or not,
> and set the appropriate variable to us-ascii in the code?

You have to ask Klaus about this.. IMHO it would be rather hard to
implement.

> If yes, you may remove x00-x7f (or at least x20-x7e) region
> from every chartrans table (is there any exception from us-ascii conformance?
> maybe x7F somewhere?)

Well I think it's the same (i.e. all charsets are supersets of US-ASCII),
so there's no difference - it doesn't get any transofrmed anyway..

> >From the other hand, you still need to translate ©
> and others &...; in HTML.)

And to print/mail it.. You can set your display charset to "7bit
approximations" for these pages. Copyright (©) gets translated as
(C)..

Hynek

--
Hynek Med, address@hidden