Re: LYNX-DEV Win32 Lynx Problems...

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Win32 Lynx Problems...
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 15:35:40 -0600 (CST)

(Please configure your mailer not to send WINMAIL.DAT to the Internet.)

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997 address@hidden wrote:

> Help!
>
> I am using the Win32 port of Lynx 2.7.1 on Windows NT4 to try and access

What does
  lynx -version
say?

> a particular form page on our company Intranet.  When I access this page
> I get the 'HTTP request sent; waiting for response.' message but then it
> just stays there and gets no further.
>
> The page I am trying to access is a logon screen to a database which
> passes the user name and password.  The screen loads OK but then does not
> get any further than the aforementioned message when the Submit button is
> hit.  This login process uses cookies and perl scripts to pass this
> information.
>
> I have tried using various options in the 'lynx.cfg' file and have also
> tried using the command line switches -cookies and -force_secure but have
> had no luck in accessing this page so far.
>
> The database I am trying to log into is the QIP IP Management database
> written by Quadritek (www.quadritek.com).  This is a database which is
> based on Sybase and uses a Windows client or a WWW client in order to
> access it.
>
> Please can you offer any guidance on this matter?

Try
  lynx -trace
or
  lynx -trace -tlog
(or the Ctrl-T key instead of -trace) and look at the trace data.  If that
doesn't tell you anything, send the trace output (or relevant excerpts) to
<address@hidden>.  (If there is sensitive information like passwords in
the trace, remove that of course.)  It would be better if you could give a
an acessible URL where the problem could be reproduced.

If the last thing Lynx says is 'HTTP request sent; waiting for response.'
then it appears that your "login process" expects something more than Lynx
is sending; you should be able to get some debugging info from the server
and/or perl scripts, to find out what they are waiting for (or whether
they have accepted the request at all).

It would help if you could check whether the same problem occurs with Lynx
running on a different platform, like UNIX; if you have compiler access to
a UNIX machine, try it with the sources from <URL:
http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/>.

   Klaus