Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX for DOS 386

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX for DOS 386
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:45:34 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Howard Miller wrote:

> I am a Lynx for DOS user and am blind so use a braille display.  On web
> sites where one clicks on a select line to  produce a list of options, I
> find that the arrow keys don't move me up or down the options like in the
> unix version on my ISP.  Are there plans to fix this?

Can you give us an example of a URL where arrows don't work?  I think
that they work in the version I have been using.  Which version of Lynx
are you using?  You can tell from the option menu or by "lynx -version".

> What about adding ftp and telnet support?  I would like the ability to add
> numbers to places where you enter data or for clicking on submit and search
> buttons, not just links.

Telnet support is available and an ftp kludge is available.  I have
successfully used CUTCP and kermit as my telnet programs, automatically
called from lynx.  Let me know if you would like to see the batch files
that I use to run them.  If you can use bootp, then kermit should work
well.  Otherwise, you will need a sed script to put your IP address in
the configuration file of kermit or CUTCP, since they don't use the
WATTCP.CFG file.

No one has yet been able to get FTP to work with the WATTCP stack for
lynx.  You can, however, using the EXTERNAL mechanism, invoke Erick
Engelke's FTP 07 program.  With the right batch file and sed script, you
can parse the ftp address so that you will be in the correct directory
for obtaining a file by ftp.  It is more like shelling out of lynx and
invoking a standard ftp program, however, than like using the unix lynx
to go through a ftp directory.  Once again, let me know if you would
like to see the batch files.  I am not a sed expert and did not try to
refine the scripts, once I got them to work.

> What about adding SSL patch for Lynx for DOS like there is one for unix?
> I'd like to be able to perform secure transactions.

This may be more problematic.  The lynx file with SSL hooks is
distributed by Fote, but I don't know that anyone has tried to port his
version of lynx to DOS.  The alternative would be to port the eassl
proxy to DOS (I would guess as a TSR).  I don't know of anyone trying to
do that either.  What I do in this situation is to go to my unix shell
account and use unix lynx with eassl.

                                  Doug
__
Doug Kaufman