LYNX-DEV filename problem with -crawl -traversal function

From: Hasan Karahasan
Subject: LYNX-DEV filename problem with -crawl -traversal function
Date: 26 Nov 1997 21:11:00 +0100

Last week I suggested the following patch. I got no confirmation, so I am not
sure if anyone has taken any notice of it.

The traversal function is very usefull but could not be used in 386 version
yet, because the filenames lnk00000000.dat lnk00000001.dat etc. are to long
for dos's 8.3 system. Dos simply ignores all characters of a filename beyond
the 8th character, so lnk00000000.dat and lnk00000001.dat is the same to dos.
So lnk*1.dat overwrites lnk*0.dat, lnk*2 overwrites lnk*1 etc.

I suggest the following patch to lymainlo.c line:1426
                sprintf(cfile,"lnk%08d.dat",ccount);
change this to
                sprintf(cfile,"lnk%05d.dat",ccount);

This reduces the number of possible filenames to 99999. But I think this is a
limit also non-dos-users can live with. I Prefere this instead of inserting a
#ifdef DOSPATH with different results for different operating systems.

Hasan