Re: LYNX-DEV How to get DJGPP to make sounds

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV How to get DJGPP to make sounds
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 00:20:52 +0000 (GMT)

I wrote:
> Jeff Groves wrote:
>
> > generated.  I've also added an "FKEY=" attribute that you can use to
>
> I think there is a standardisation issue here as well.  I have a feeling
> that the world is moving towards using Javascript for this, so it may be
> I don't think this is sufficiently unique to LYNX to make the change without
> being in a position to propose it for standardisation; if it is, it should
> probably have a LYNX prefix to the name, or one reflecting your (company)
> name.

Having had cause to look at the HTML 4.0 (July draft) spec again, this
capability is already in HTML 4, but not in the form described.  Some
elements can have an accesskey attribute.  It appears to be intended for
use with modifiers on the main keyboard, rather than function, keys, but
one could, for example treat 1 as meaning F1, rather than a modifier key
and the number 1.

Some elements can have accesskey set indirectly, in the form of a LABEL
element - it looks as though the logic is that there must always be some
static text associated with the key, so <INPUT> needs to be indirected
through <LABEL>, but <A> can use accesskey directly.

On A, the key causes immediate action, for <INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT".. it is
unclear whether the intention is just to move focus.  MSIE 4 understands
LABEL, but I haven't tried accesskey yet.

I think this stresses the danger in inventing potential mainstream
extensions without checking outside.